Recreational kayaks are the ideal choice for those who enjoy casual paddling. If you are into photography or just admiring the surroundings then a recreational vessel is the right choice.
These boats are the most commonly sold and can either be sit on top or sit in. They offer great stability and generally a larger cockpit.
There are a few top sellers when it comes to recreational kayaks so let’s get into it!
The Best Recreational Kayak Brands Available
Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak, Envy
- Renowned Tri-Form hull for stability, tracking and maneuverability
- Transport and Storage: 9 ft. length and only 43 lbs. means easy transport in the back of a pick-up or car top. Easy to lift and small to store.
- Seating: Durable padded Comfort Plus Seat Back provide cushioning, support, and 4 way adjustability for all day paddling comfort for any body type
- Stern tank well with removeable bungees, bow deck bungee
- Additional Features: Bow and stern carry handles, molded in side handles, molded-in cup holder, and replaceable rear skid plate for added durability
The Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit on Top Kayak is a responsive and stable, sit on top, recreational kayak.
- Tri-Form hull for stability
- 9 foot long
- Total weight of 43 lbs
- Durable padded Comfort Plus Seat Back
- 4 way adjustability for all day paddling comfort
- Stern tank well with removable bungees, bow deck bungee
- Bow and stern carry handles
- Molded in side handles
- Molded-in cup holder
- Replaceable rear skid plate for added durability
Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak is a very well built and designed sit on top kayak for children, youth and adults.
This kayak is designed with tracking and stability as a priority which is what adds to the appeal.
With a stern tank well that has removable bungees along with a bow deck bungee there is plenty of room for you goods.
Weighing in at just over 44lbs this kayak is easy to transport and store. It has a maximum user weight of 275-325lbs.
The Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit on Top Kayak is available in envy, sunrise or yellow.
Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Recreational Kayak, Sunrise
- Single-user kayak great for quiet water paddling on lakes, ponds, and slow moving rivers
- Made from highly durable single layer linear polyethylene
- Adjustable Comfort Flex padded seat for all day paddling comfort and a cockpit rim paddle-rest
- Comfortable thigh/knee pads and Glide Track Foot Brace system for good fit and control
- Stern Day Well provides easy access to day-use items without storing them in the bilge of the boat
Old Town Canoes and Kayaks Vapor 10 is a great sit in kayak. This is the only sit in model to make the reviews and you will need to choose which type you prefer before making the choice.
- 10 foot long
- Highly durable single layer linear polyethylene
- Adjustable Comfort Flex padded seat
- Cockpit rim paddle-rest
- Comfortable thigh/knee pads
- Glide Track Foot Brace system for good fit and control
- Good storage
- Available in 2 different colors
The Vapor 10 is 10 foot long and 28.5 inches wide, it has a total weight of 47 pounds making it fairly easy to transport.
Made from highly durable polyethylene this model is built to last. It also includes an adjustable comfort flex seat as well as a glide track foot brace system.
The molded in cockpit tray also includes a cup holder as well as a molded in paddle rest. There is also a drain plug along with a skid plate.
The only thing with the Old Town Canoes and Kayaks Vapor 10 is if you capsize you will need to know how to get out of the kayak. If you have never kayaked before we recommend a sit on top model for this reason.
Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11 Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak, Yellow
- 1 person sit-on-top kayak for the ultimate in versatility
- Durable foam padded Comfort Plus Seat Back provide cushioning, support and 4-way adjustability for all-day paddling comfort for any body type
- Ocean Kayak patented overlapping foot wells for comfortable seating position whatever your leg length
- 6" Cam Lock Hatch for dry storage, deck bungees and paddle keeper, tank well with bungee straps for larger items, molded-in cup holder
- Molded in side handles, paddle holder and replaceable rear skid plate for added durability
The Ocean Kayak Scrambler is a recreational kayak that comes with plenty of storage space along with a comfortable seat.
- 11 foot long
- Tri Hull kayak
- Single person kayak
- Comfortable seat
- Overlapping footwells
- Dry hatch
- Paddle holder
The Scrambler is a versatile sit on top kayak that is designed for recreational use. This kayak has a foam padded seat that can be adjusted to support your day on the kayak.
Due to the foot wells overlapping this kayak can be used for people of varying heights comfortably.
With a 6″ Cam Lock Hatch you can store items that need to stay dry. In addition there are deck bungees for other accessories.
Made in the USA of durable roto-molded polyethylene plastic, this sit on top kayak is built to last.
The kayak has a molded in cup holder along with a paddle keeper. The hull of this kayak responds well in swell and surf and is also excellent on flat water.
The Ocean Kayak Scrambler weighs 47 pounds and has a maximum user capacity of 300-350 pounds. The kayak is 11′ 6.5″ long and 29.5″ wide.
How to Choose the Best Recreational Kayak
The choice is really personal but there are a few things to consider including your budget, storage requirements, where you plan to take it and transport.
With kayaks it really does pay to invest in a quality product. Models that are under the $400 range are generally poorly made. I say generally because there are still many models that might last forever.
Better to buy a quality product from the beginning and be happy with your purchase. Recreational kayaks are built with stability in mind meaning you pay for this design feature.
The higher the budget the more features you will get such as additional storage, adjustability and much more.
If you are an experienced or advanced paddler you really ought to look at models in the $600+ price range.
Where are you Going to Use it?
If you plan to use the vessel on a calm lake or flat water surfaces then you can opt for a cheaper model designed specifically for this.
If you plan to take it on the ocean or rivers then you will need to find a kayak that offers high stability and can handle the swell and bumps.
For longer expeditions you will need to consider the storage compartments so you have plenty of room for food, gear, first aid and any other essential items.
Transporting your Boat
Being able to transport and store your kayak is a key consideration as well. The longer your kayak the more difficult and not to mention heavier it will be to attach to the roof or two behind your vehicle.
There are some models that will actually fit in the back of a SUV. Ideally you want something that is lightweight if you are going to be hauling it to and from the water a lot.
Ideal for the casual paddler, recreational kayaks are designed with stability in mind. Perfect for enjoying the scenery of lakes, rivers and even the sea these kayaks are a great tool to get you outdoors. There are a few different models to choose from so we have reviewed the top 3 recreational kayaks on the market.