Owning, maintaining and using a kayak can be a lot more cost effective, fun and adventurous than a boat. For this reason many fishermen are opting for high quality kayaks.
Fishing kayaks are all sit on top kayaks and offer a wide variety of features to accommodate for fishing gear.
As a rule of thumb, fishing kayaks offer more stability due to extra width and length which is important if you are casting and reeling in fish.
It is also important that there is plenty of storage areas for your tackle as well as fishing pole holders and dry hatches.
The following post will highlight and review the best fishing kayaks on the market, so let’s get into it!
Best Fishing Kayaks Reviewed
Perception Pescador Pro Sit-on-Top Kayak for Fishing
- Hull is made out of polyethylene. Removable, stadium-style Pro Seat has two positions and adjusts with a recessed track. Keepers adjustable foot brace helps you get proper paddling posture.
- Molded-in stern tankwell, featuring bungee keepers and a molded-in bow tankwell with a mesh gear cover, offers storage space for your fishing gear. Dual molded-in rod holders keep your fishing poles nearby. YakAttack Gear Trac system gives you the option to attach several fishing and paddling accessories.
- Midship accessory track recesses and tackle box storage. Storage console can hold fish finder electronics. Paddle park offers you a hands-free option.
- 5 in. stern deck hatch gives you access to the hull's interior. Skid plate added to hull's bottom for more durability. Includes a molded-in cup holder.
- Comfort carry handles on the bow and stern let you easily transport it. Ideal for fishing and flatwater usage. Measures 12 ft. long.
The Perception Pescador Sit on Top kayak is the most popular fishing kayak and for good reason.
- 12 foot in lenght
- Polyethylene hull
- Pro seat included
- Adjustable foot braces
- Molded in stern tankwell
- Tackle box storage
- Rod holders
- Paddle park
- Comfort carry handles
This kayak is a great length at 12′ and is available in 3 different colors – sonic camo, moss camo and red tiger.
Made from high density polyethylene and is designed with the highest UV impact and abrasion resistance this kayak is designed to last. As a result the colors and graphics of this kayak are wear-proof.
This kayak is leak proof and has a built in buoyancy making this a very safe and this is due to the one piece design.
This model is ideal for use on rivers, lakes, streams and calm coastal – this is an all rounder kayak.
Measuring in at 32″ wide, weighs 57 lbs, it has a maximum user weight of 325 lbs.
Adjusting the foot bracing of this kayak is easy allowing you to find the correct paddling posture for yourself.
Stern tankwell is molded in and it also includes bungee keepers as well as a mesh gear cover and plenty of storage space for all of your fishing gear.
Dual molded rod holders are featured in this kayak making it easy to keep your fishing poles nearby when in use and secure while paddling.
The seat on included with the Perception Pescador Sit on Top kayak is comfortable and can be adjusted into upright and reclining position via the molded in track recess.
Malibu Kayaks X-Factor Fish and Dive Package Sit on Top Kayak, Lime
- Fish & Dive features include 4 point rear hatch w/ bag, 2 front and 2 rear rod holders.
- LENGTH: 14-Feet 4-Inch WIDTH: 33-Inch DEPTH: 12-Inch WEIGHT: 62 lbs MAX. CAPACITY: 625 lbs
- Stability and dry ride like you-Feet ve never experienced before
- Great in the bays or the big water
- Its high rocker will cut through the roughest chop and biggest swell!
The Malibu X Factor Sit on Top Kayak is a top of the range kayak used by fishermen and divers alike.
- 14 foot long
- 2 dive tank wells
- Front and rear child seating areas
- Gator and centre hatch
- 6 flush mounted fishing rod holders
- Wide cockpit area
- Comfortable and dry seating
- Adjustable foot track system
- Trolling motor capable
- Cup holder
- Self draining trays
- Side carry handles/paddle holders
Measuring in at 14’4″ long and 33 inches wide it has a total weight of 64 pounds and has a maximum user capacity of 550 pounds.
Plenty of storage areas give ample space for all your fishing gear or other items if you are planning a day kayak or overnight trip.
The adjustable foot track system makes it easy to adjust to the right height for different users.
The gator hatch located at the front of the kayak can actually accommodate a seat for a child.
Within the centre hatch is a self draining tray along with a cup holder and plenty of storage space.
The Malibu X Factor Sit on Top Kayak comes with a limited lifetime warranty so you can rest assured knowing your investment is well protected!
Hobie Mirage Outback Camo Kayak 2017 - 12ft1/Camo
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 0792176402442|
|Product Type Name||OUTDOOR_RECREATION_PRODUCT|
|Title||Hobie Mirage Outback Camo Kayak 2017 - 12ft1/Camo|
|UPC List||UPC List Element: 792176402442|
Hobie Mirage Outback Camo is manufactured by a highly reputable, quality company when it comes to fishing kayaks.
- 12 ft 1in in length
- Mirage Drive 180 and the multi-adjustable Vantage CT chair
- Custom hull graphics and custom pedal pads
- Upgraded Mirage turbo fins and large rudder blade
- 2 Molded-in drink holders
- 4 Molded-in rod holders
- Lowrance-Ready capability
The Hobie Mirage Outback Camo is a dream kayak for fishermen. This kayak offers a hands free propulsion system for both forward and reverse via the Mirage Drive 180 system.
The Vantage CT seating system offers 3 height options as well as the ability to recline, making this a very comfortable kayak to use.
The Camo outback also has Mirage turbo fins as well as a large rudder offering even more power and control.
In addition to this there are the other features including molded in fishing pole holders, trays and storage compartments, a gear bucket and much more!
The Hobie Mirage Outback Camo is 12 ft 1 in long and 33 inches wide. It is quite heave at 99 pound but due to this is extremely stable and reliable. The maximum user weight of this kayak is 44 pound.
Hobie Pro Angler 12 2015 Dune
- Powered by MirageDrive with Glide Technology pedal drive system. This innovative system frees up your hands as well as uses a larger muscle group to make kayaking easier and more efficient.
- The Vantage seating system has been added to the 2015 model to provide more comfort during long periods of time on the water and is easily adjustable for maximum support.
- Horizontal storage for four rods, vertical storage for two rods, and easy access to tackle.
- New for 2015 is the H-Rail mounting system for increased versatility and the Tracing Keel for improved tracking.
- Lowrance Ready installation system for simple addition of a fishfinder.
The Hobie Pro Angler 12 is the most expensive fishing kayak to make this review but is the cream of the crop so to speak!
- Powered by MirageDrive with Glide Technology pedal drive system.
- The Vantage seating system has been added to the 2015 model to provide more comfort during long periods of time on the water
- Seat is easily adjustable for maximum support
- Horizontal storage for four rods
- Vertical storage for two rods
- Easy access to tackle.
- H-Rail mounting system for increased versatility and the Tracing Keel for improved tracking.
- Lowrance Ready installation system for simple addition of a fishfinder
The Mirage drive and glide technology make it easy to paddle – hands free and allowing you to fish. kayak fishing with the Hobie Pro is much more efficient.
Measuring in at 12 foot in length and 36 inches wide, this sit on top fishing kayak is stable and performs exceptionally well on the water.
This fishing kayak is quite heavy at 130 pounds but is extremely stable as a result. The maximum user capacity is 500 pounds.
Due to the stability you have the option to stand on your kayak and cast your line out – yes it really is that stable!
With integrated dual steering controls it is easy to control your direction while moving. There is also plenty of storage space for all your gear and accessories.
The vantage seating offers comfort as well as adjustability. This along with the Boa system lumbar support offers a high level of comfort for your days out on the water.
The Hobie Pro Angler 12 has 2 vertical rod holders, 4 horizontal rod holders as well as a two piece paddle and T-Handle.
Well worth the investment if your budget allows!
Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 9-foot Angler Sit On Top Fishing Kayak with Paddle and Deluxe Kayak Seat ( Sea Breeze)
- • 1-person sit on top fishing kayak: 9-foot 46-pound fishing kayak with deluxe kayak seat provides portability and stability in a smaller package
- • 4 capped flush mount rod holders and mounting point for Scotty, RAM and Vibe mount accessories
- • Two paddle parks secure paddles when not in use, preventing loss overboard
- • Multiple storage options - 2 sealed hatches with bag inserts and large bungeed rear tank well
- • 4 easy-grip carry handles for transport and portability
The Vibe Skipjack presents great value for those who are budget restricted by still looking for a quality fishing kayak.
- 9-foot kayak
- Deluxe seating
- 4 capped rod holders
- Two paddle parks
- Multiple storage options
- 4 easy grip handles
This kayak comes with plenty of storage options including sealed hatches along with bag inserts. There is also a large bungeed rear tank well system.
As the length is smaller than of the other models this is an easy to manoeuvre kayak that can be easily transported and stored.
Measuring in at 9 foot long and 32 inches wide this kayak has a total weight of 46 pounds and a maximum user weight of 300 pounds.
Included are 4 capped fishing rod holders as well as 2 side bungee paddle parks ensuring safety and security while parked.
Vibe provides a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty on the Vibe Skipjack for defects on all new kayak purchases from an authorized Vibe dealer. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser and may not be transferred.
Lifetime Sport Fisher Single or Tandem Kayak, 10 Feet, Olive Green
- Blow molded from High Density Polyethylene for superior strength and durability; Backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty
- Designed to seat up to 3 people; 500 lb. weight capacity
- Hull design provides ultra stability and great trackingDurable High-Density UV-Protected Polyethylene HDPE Construction Resists Fading, Cracking, and Peeling
- Multiple footrest positions for different size riders
- Includes: 2 double-sided paddles, paddle clips, 2 padded backrests, 3 fishing pole holders, and a 6' storage hatch
The Lifetime Sport Tandem kayak is a basic, tandem kayak that is a good budget model for fishermen.
- Blow molded from High Density Polyethylene for superior strength and durability
- Designed to seat up to 3 people
- Hull design provides ultra stability and great tracking
- Durable High-Density UV-Protected Polyethylene HDPE Construction
- Multiple footrest positions for different size riders
- 2 double-sided paddles, paddle clips
- 2 padded backrests
- 3 fishing pole holders
- 6’ storage hatch
- 5-year limited manufacturer warranty
This tandem, sit on top kayak is a great entry level fishing vessel. Measuring in at 10 feet it is still small enough for ease of storage and transport but long enough to offer good stability.
It is 36inches wide and has a maximum user weight capacity of 500 pounds. Due to the size you could easily accommodate 2 adults comfortably along with a pet or 3 children.
The high quality construction means this kayak is built to last and is resistant to fading, cracking and peeling.
With a 6′ storage hatch and space for 3 fishing poles the Lifetime Sport Tandem also comes with a 5 year warranty.
What to Look for in a Fishing Kayak
There are a few questions you must ask yourself and consider before choosing the best fishing kayak.
How much storage space do you need? Would you like an additional compartment or area specifically for any bait.
How many fishing pole holders do you want?
Would you like a spacious or tandem kayak that could fit two people?
How large and heavy is the kayak and how far do you need to transport it?
Would you like a kayak that doubles as a recreational vessel or is it strictly for fishing?
These are just some of the questions you should ask yourself before diving into a purchase. The kayaks reviewed in this article are all very high quality and have great reviews.
Try matching a fishing kayak within your budget from those listed above is!
Fishing kayaks are designed with many different features than a traditional or standard kayak. Fishing kayaks are generally sit on top kayaks and this is for additional stability. This along with the width and length make them easy to navigate, turn and remain stable. There are many to choose from so I hope you found the Best Fishing Kayaks Reviewed article helpful! Let me know in the comments what you decide on.